Last weekend I was hit with a nasty cold. It may be from the quick trip to New York for work, the time change or the fact that we Canadians put our clocks ahead an hour in March. Either way, it was a week of me in bed with a box of kleenex. I figured late Saturday night that I should cancel my weekly little sister date that was happening the next morning. I hate disappointing Joanna but I figured this was the adult thing to do. She was sad but we agreed on our next date and said goodbye. The next afternoon she called and pressed to see me. Normally, I would say no but she insisted. She had something she HAD to bring me.
Wait for it…the cutest thing…Joanna showed up with a bag of her favourite fruits. "this will make you feel better," she said. Does this kids know me or what! Heal with food :) We sat in the stair well planning what we do on our next date. Can you guess? We are baking a minion cake. Not sure how, but we will have fun trying!
So in the bag of fruits from Joanna, there was strawberries, grapes and about 15 apples. I knew if I didn't do something with the apples they would go to waste so I decided to stew them up and make a health no grain desert.
- remove the skin and core from 6 apples. Use your favourite type of apple. I used Spartan
- slice the apples about 1/4" thick
- in a pot on the stove or in a crock pot add all the ingredients with the coconut oil on top
- cook for 1-1.5 hours (high on crockpot or medium in pot)
Note - I am bad at measuring. I just add ingredients in the pot as I go so I don't have the exact measurements. Taste as you go to fit your taste buds.
- 6 apples
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- maple syrup (amount depends on your sweetness factor)
- arrowroot powder (to thicken the sauce
- refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk over night
- remove lid without shaking the can and take out all the solid coconut cream from the can and place in a bowl
- add maple syrup or vanilla for a bit of sweetness
- blend until you get peaks
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- maple syrup or vanilla
Keep smiling :)