Its been a crazy busy last few weeks. I did an amazing yoga retreat on Hornby Island, which I will post about soon, spent a weekend in Portland eating some amazing food and some even better craft beers, yes this girl likes her beer :), and recently been pumping out assignments, papers and studying for my final exam in my Psychology of Disease course. Can we say Chakras!!! Understanding the drive to Portland is around 6 hours from Vancouver I decided to make some protein balls for me and the girls as a nutritious treat to keep us going. I was hoping to make these again as my pictures are less than desirable but a coworker was asking for the recipe so I am going for it.
I have played around with a few different ingredient options and you can to. All you need is a food processor.
Note - I don't measure I just add, so these are not exact measurements. Add ingredients to get a dough-like consistency.
- 1 cup raw cashews - soak to remove the phytic acid
- 1-1.5 cup medjool dates - remove dates and soak to soften them up
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or any nut butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded coconut - keep some to roll the balls in
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- carob chip or chocolate chips. I added a few so it wasn't too chocolatey, but add to what you like.
- place dates in food processor and process until its tiny bits or close to a paste.
- add in the soaked cashews and mix.
- add the banana, cocoa, and peanut butter and mix
- add coconut and carob chips and pulse a few times
- remove from processor and roll into balls
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper or a plate and roll over the coconut
- keep in the fridge
Play around with the recipe. You can add dry fruits, seeds and any other nuts, The cashews are what keeps it creamy so keep them. And if you are not a fan of coconut or cant eat it, just remove it. They are just as good.
keep smiling :)