Happy Victoria Day Canada!! I love long weekends! One extra day off really makes a difference in how I I feel balanced and rejuvenated before heading back to the office. Although, I do try and pack in a lot of stuff on these weekends which is not ideal, I make sure I take a few hours of downtime to watch my Jack Bauer. Can I tell you how obsessed I am with this show. I just completed the 5th season and I can't get enough… I may have a problem!
Because it feels like BBQ season in Vancouver I thought it would be a great time to share my Shredded Brussels Sprout salad, an update to the traditional coleslaw.
- Brussels sprouts - washed and remove the ends
- dried cranberries
- bacon (I used Pork bacon but you could use any of your choice)
- mayo (about 2 tsp)
- Dijon mustard (about 2 tsp)
- Balsamic vinegar (about 1 tbs)
- olive oil (3 tbs)
- water - if you want it thinner (add tbsp at a time)
Note - my measurements may not be exact. I add as I go to hit my desired taste. I love the tang from the mustard and balsamic.
- shred the brussel sprouts. I used my food processor which has a shredding blade
- cook the bacon in the oven, pat the oil off and let cool
- mix the brussel sprouts, bacon and cranberries in a bowl.
- mix the dressing ingredients: mayo, oil, dijon and balsamic oil in a mason jar and shake. Pour over the salad and mix well.
- refrigerate for 30 minutes and enjoy.
- Brussels sprouts - great source of fibre, Low GI, contain antioxidants to help prevent cancer, Vitamin C, Vitamin K that helps to have strong and healthy bones and minerals such as Iron, Manganese, Calcium and Potassium.
- Bacon - I LOVE bacon! Authority Nutrition wrote a great post on the nutrition of bacon, i recommend you check it out.
(I'm working on my photos! I purchased this beautiful bowl set from the Saturday Market in Portland so I hope they help )
Bring on the summer BBQ's :)