One of my favourite snacks that gives me an abundance of energy, keeps me full between meals and tastes pretty damn good is my Paleo power balls. I always tell my clients to ensure they get healthy fats, protein and clean carbs for each meal and snack and these are right on track.
Normally I make balls from this recipe but this time I mixed it up and made squares and balls, which is why I called them power bites on this post. The are easy to make and are guilt free. All you need is a food processor and you can find my favourite one here.
- 1.5 cups of cashews
- 1 cup of medjool dates
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup of Cacao
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 tbs nut butter ( I used Organic peanut butter)
- soak cashews overnight or in hot water for 2 hours to soften up and remove the phytic acid.
- soak Medjool dates in hot water for 30 minutes to soften them up
- in your food processor, add the cashews and process until smooth
- add the soaked dates and process
- add cacao powder, vanilla and nut butter and mix
- add in the shredded coconut and pulse a few times
- scoop out a portion to make 1" balls and roll into shredded coconut for added texture.
- refrigerate or freeze in an air tight container
These bites are a great source of protein, healthy fats, fibre, minerals such as copper, magnesium, and manganese, and vitamins B6 and K .
Their nutritional content reduces HDL cholesterol, heart disease, the spread of colon cancer and diabetes. So why not enjoy one...or two of these ;)
Enjoy these protein power balls as a snack, post workout or when you are having a chocolate craving.